Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Bad Names, Part 2.

A while back, I wrote a piece on poorly-named schools. Today, I am back with a few more unfortunate names I have come across recently. I think my favorite thing about bad names is how if you grow up using it to refer to the school/church/lady down the street, it might never occur to you that it has a meaning outside of that school/church/lady. But if you are an adult hearing that name for the first time, you're like, "Whaaaa?"

Slaughter Elementary School. Slaughter, people! I could never send my little children there.

Penile Baptist Church. (and Town, and Road). I don't have much to say about this one. I had to come home and look up "penile" to make sure it meant what I thought it did. Apparently, the town of Penile (which has now been incorporated into my own, lovely Louisville, is pronounced "Peh-neel" by the locals--thank goodness.

Vendetta. Just a first name. It's actually pretty cool-sounding as a name, I think. If it weren't for the fact that I associate the word with concepts like REVENGE and BITTERNESS, it would really be quite lovely, in my book.

Furnishit.com. My mom told me about this one after my last post. Good job with the name, guys! Reminds me of the time I set up an email for myself with the alias, camillasmiththerapist. Thank goodness for little sisters who catch such things--I could be scaring off lots of potential clients.

Thanks for stopping by, & hope you have a great week! Any crazy names in your life? I'd love to hear 'em!




2 comments:

  1. Cammie,
    The best one I have encountered is a little girl named La-a. How would you pronounce this? Her mother can't understand why people don't know it is ladasha. Why would you do this to a child, why..why..why? The scary thing is was telling this story to someone and a lady listening chimed in about how cute she thought it was!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of that...but I've always wondered if it's just an urban legend or if that name really exists! So crazy.

      Delete

Don't be shy! I want to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...