Saturday, April 6, 2013

Samoas Girl Scout Cookies and (Healthy) Ice Cream

Today I will be sharing two recipes which I tried recently and which worked well. The first:






Samoas cookie bars. These really are quite similar to the Girl Scout cookies, which I love. The only two ingredients you might not have on hand are coconut and caramels. Otherwise, these are quick and easy and quite delicious.

I adapted the recipe slightly from the original, which I found here. In the original recipe, the bars are lifted out of the pan and dipped in chocolate, so that you have chocolate on the bottom and the top (more similar to the actual Girl Scout cookies). This seemed like a little too much work for me, and they turned out yummy without dipping in chocolate. My only other recommendation would be to reduce the shortbread ingredients (maybe to 2/3 of what she lists?) I felt like the cookie to coconut/chocolate ratio was a bit high.

Okay, and since Chad and I are Gettin' Healthy, we don't do dessert during the week. But Tuesday was Chad's birthday, and it felt totally wrong not to make something, you know? Chocolate Covered Katie has a recipe for easy peanut butter ice cream. I followed this recipe, but omitted the sweetener and the vanilla, instead using vanilla soy milk (not the unsweetened kind). The flavor was yummy. I could definitely eat this while Gettin' Healthy.


Peanut Butter Ice Cream (adapted from chocolatecoveredkatie.com)

1/3 cup peanut butter (I used natural)
1 cup vanilla soy milk (I'm sure almond would work great too--whatever kind you drink)
1/16 tsp salt
2 bananas

Puree and freeze (this may take a few hours). Then, enjoy! Simple and yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Both of these sound delicious! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! Sorry I haven't been around to give love recently! I have been so busy at school! One of my favorite recipes is to freeze bananas and then blend them in my magic bullet or food processor and add PB and Cocoa powder - similar to the recipe up top.

    Have a great week!
    Madalyn

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I want to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...