Thursday, March 7, 2013

Oatmeal-crust Pizza

I made this pizza dough recipe several weeks ago and it was probably some of the best pizza we've made at home. But now that we're doing this health challenge, I don't feel super great about consuming good ol' fashioned white-flour pizza dough. (There's no rule about grains/flour, but I sorta feel like if we're gonna eat healthy, we might as well eat HEALTHY.) So yesterday, we tried out the new grinder my mom gave us for Christmas! We had oats on hand, so we ground them up for our flour and replaced flour with oat flour in the above recipe. It worked pretty well!

We loaded the pizza up with fresh veggies and fresh mozzarella cheese (YUM!).

Oh, and in case you're wondering: the recipe worked mostly okay with the oat flour. It seemed to require a bit more of the oat flour than is called for in the recipe, just to make the dough not totally sticky. Since we ran out of oat flour, we ended up having to add maybe 1/2 cup of regular flour. Overall though, it was a success and SOO good! I am excited to use the grinder for wheat and rice and other things, too.












6 comments:

  1. Great idea! I recently discovered oat flour because its in the pumpkin protein bar recipe I use. I like it! I haven't tried making it myself since we don't have a grinder. That pizza looks amazing! I had delivery pizza last night. Total fail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, I'd love to have the recipe for the pumpkin protein bars! do share! yeah...I don't feel so bad about pizza, depending what kind it is. :)

      Delete
  2. We have a granola bar recipe and a pancake recipe that both use oat flour, and you can also just put oats in the blender, which is quick and easy. It may not grind it quite as fine, I'm not sure, but it works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, honestly, I put some of them in the blender and it seemed almost just as good. I probably won't use the grinder again for oats. I'm excited to try it with wheat and rice, though. I would love to see what granola bar recipe you use! Chad and I have wanted to switch to making our own, since we eat a bajillion of them every week.

      Delete

Don't be shy! I want to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...